Translate this fancy blog!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Disney's Polynesian Resort


THIRD LOCATION

Disney’s Polynesian Resort

What is this fancy place?

Disney’s Polynesian Resort opened in 1971, as one of the first on-site hotels. It sits on the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon, and provides boat, bus and monorail transportation. Like other Lagoon resorts, the Polynesian corresponds to a land in the Magic Kingdom, and is Adventureland’s counterpart. The Polynesian is a South Seas inspired resort; the resort’s main building is the Great Ceremonial House, and the rest of the hotel is broken up into 11 longhouses, named after islands of Polynesia.  The Polynesian is also home to the luau and fire show, Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show.

First Impression of the Fanciness

The gentle sound of water greets me when I step off the monorail and into the lobby. A tropical rain-forest lives in the atrium, complete with a plethora of plants and soft-falling waterfalls. The low walls surrounding the forest have cushioned seats built into them, and it makes me want to curl up and fall asleep to the pitter-patter of the waterfall.

The forest and some fancy seating 
Fancy leaves
The rest of the resort is as equally soothing and charming. Paved walkways meander around leafy trees and beaches to lead guests to their colorful longhouses. It creates a feeling of being enshrouded by an island forest. I feel like an explorer, finding something charismatic and unexpected around every corner.

What I love most about the Polynesian is that there is no shortage of beaches. If one area if busy, it is remarkably easy to find another place to relax that is empty. Every time I walk through, I always find a new little nook, a new hammock, a new beach path. Now that's fancy!
Cute beach nook with view of the Contemporary
If The Grand Floridian is sparkling elegance and delicate china, then the Polynesian is hidden adventure and vibrant lei. It’s laid-back luxury at its fanciest!

Fancy Writing Spaces?
I decide to check out the eatery called Captain Cook’s by recommendation from a writer-minded friend. Captain Cook’s (named after the famous explorer James Cook who was the first European to explore Polynesia) is on the ground floor and is a lively little place, filled with bright colors and floor-to-ceiling windows. 

Captain Cook's Snack Company entrance
They have a Dole Whip station which instantly has my undivided attention, and I try out some of their flat-breads,  all delicious. My friend specifically recommended the booth seat in the corner because of the handy plug, so I quickly check and – huzzah! It’s open. I take my food and set up camp :)

My set up
c
My view of Cook's
View from the window

















There is plenty of light from the windows and lamps, and even though the quick-service can get crowded, I never feel suffocated. It’s pleasant to be able to look outside and feel the sunlight streaming in. I spent hours there, no problem. So if you fancy a tropical island getaway, and a place where luau music constantly plays, and yummy Dole Whip you can eat all day...well, the Polynesian just earned the Fancy cachet!

Special Fancy Extras

Movies occasionally play on the beaches at night. Also, I had a magnificently clear view of the fireworks and water show from the Polynesian’s beaches. What a fancy way to spend the evening! All of the fireworks, none of the crowds :). 

Polynesian at night
Fireworks over Magic Kingdom! Fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment