Translate this fancy blog!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Walt Disney World Swan

NINTH LOCATION

Walt Disney World Swan

What is this fancy place?


Pack your briefcase and your Mickey Ears, it's time to mix business and pleasure at the Swan and Dolphin!

The Swan and Dolphin are sister resorts, cozied up right across from each other, and they share many amenities (very similar to the Yacht and Beach Club symbiotic relationship!). The Swan and Dolphin are both "conference" type resorts, meaning they were designed and built with business-people in mind. 

These resorts are not actually owned and operated by Disney; that honor falls to the Tishman Hotel Corporation, who was hired to build EPCOT, and contracted to build these resorts as well. The result is a combination of Disney-values and business-atmosphere, wrapped up in a splash of eye-popping color and "bigger-is-better" design.


First Impressions of the Fancy

When I say "bigger-is-better" design, I mean the Swan stretches 12 stories into the sky and is crowned with two giant swan figures, each forty-seven feet tall! The resorts were designed by Michael Graves, so the hotels are truly drool-worthy. So I decide to take the resorts one at a time, and pick the Swan to explore today.

The outside reminds me of a piece of candy: bright, colorful and cutesy. It embodies the 'vacation' aspect of the hotels, reminding guests they're a boat or bus ride away from Disney (Disney transportation is available for guests at the Swan and Dolphin).







The inside is another matter...it reflects the business side of the Swan, with gentle creams and blues and small sparkles of color (see the lobby lamps!). It's 'business-fancy', with a Business Center, a piano near the convention center, and electronic screens and large signs directing conference-attending crowds where to go. 
 

Fancy Writing Spaces?

I hit the jack-pot as soon as I walk in. Picture this: coffee and snack bar, a large arrangement of tables and couches, and plugs along the walls and even on the lamps! It's a fancy writer's dream come true!

Practically salivating, I claim my corner table, order a ham and cheese croissant from the Java Bar, and happily make use of the plug. I'm not the only one taking advantage, and throughout my stay I see many other people setting up computers, charging phones, and so on. A definite fancy plus of this resort is that it is designed with the business-person in mind. Meaning outlets...everywhere!






There's even another area where people crash on the couches to take a nap, eat a snack, or read a book. And there are outlets here too! Outlets for everybody! *cheers*

For all of this though...there is one downside! *gasp* Yes, it's true! All of the Disney resorts I've been to so far have a little something called "Disney-Guest-Wifi". But it is not so at the Swan! There are quite a few other networks, some secured and one being a conference-wifi, available for companies to purchase. This is normally not a problem (I’m there to write, not surf the internet), except I wanted to look up some music to write to. Well, I just used the music I had on my computer, but it's a good thing to know about the Swan. 

Fancy Details

This is a big detail, a forty seven foot detail, but here's a close-up of the Swan topper...under construction! January seems to be the month of renovations and refurbishments at the resorts and parks, so here's a not-so-often-seen view of some Disney-style Spring Cleaning. I just found it amusing that there's an entire wooden staircase built around the thing. 



Fancy Extras

I had the opportunity to stay in the Swan (10th floor!) and had the bright idea to take some pictures. So, here they are! Also, when we checked-in, the lady asked us if we were scared of heights! I didn't know what she meant, until I looked out my window and saw the view. 




3 comments:

  1. Loved the tour! Best of all, the value is great given the convenience to the Boardwalk, EPCOT and Studios! Great times! BRK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree!

      The EPCOT Area Resorts are some of my favorite :)

      Delete